Saturday, April 9, 2011

When the Speaker Doesn't Show Up

I was at a seminar with about 25 business leaders waiting for the speaker to show up. Five minutes after the start time there was still no speaker. The facilitator went to call the person and asked me if I could do some filler time. I had a yo-yo with me and did some tricks and talked with the attendees. It was well received by the listeners and the facilitator was my new best friend. 
Are you ready to seize the moment – are you ready for when these things happen? Some of the best opportunities you will ever receive as a manager/leader come at inopportune moments. This is an all too common issue and those that can rise to the occasion are the ones everyone remembers and are attracted to. How well are you acquainted with the talents you bring to the table? What is your "yo-yo" in hand and are you ready to offer it?
Everyone has a talent to use in order to seize the moment and make the show go on.  This is a talent most managers have but rarely utilize.  Be prepared to seize the moment and turn something into a positive, rewarding, and memorable session, even in the face of disaster.

The speaker showed up and stood in the back an additional five minutes enjoying the impromptu yo-yo magic. Judging by the look on his face he hated having to follow me. Two of the executives in the audience came up to me afterwards and shared opportunities to collaborate. Always be ready to step up when the speaker does not show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This