Saturday, March 26, 2011

Trust the Experts...

While we all have a breadth of knowledge, we also have to learn how to sit back and let the “experts do their thing”.  I was really made aware of this while on the “Yo-Yo circuit” and did countless shows to thousands of youngsters.  When I arranged for the show, many people wanted to “rearrange” the program to what they “thought” would deliver a better show for their students.  Rarely was this the case – much like it is when I talk to business owners and executives about bringing on temporary staffing.

This reminds me of a very typical experience I would have when I was doing a Yo-Yo show at a school.  The administrators, principal and others would give me what they “thought” was going to be the best situation for the show.  “We want you to do this show outside in the courtyard instead of indoors”, they would tell me.  I knew better.  Doing it outside was full of distractions, poor acoustics, bad lighting (too much glare) and a host of other issues.  Eventually I would just as them to “trust me on this one” and let me do what I know how to do best to deliver a great show.  It always worked out to be a great show for them and they thanked me for taking charge.

I relate this story as it is almost a direct parallel to what I see in the staffing business.  Every manager has hired temporary people, “on boarded” them, directed their efforts, etc.  Yet, without question, they don’t do it generally as often as I do it – meaning I do it every day and they do it occasionally.  As such, many of the ideas they have, while not bad ideas, they just aren’t the best way to handle the situation.  I do this hundreds of times a year and they might do it several in a year. 

Like with my Yo-Yo shows, I tell them to “trust me” on this because I am the “expert” in this situation – mainly from lots of experience.  When I have built a trusted relationship, this works fabulously well.  When I am just beginning to work with someone, they are skeptical – mainly because they have been burned by someone who really wasn’t the expert.  My recommendation – find someone in the staffing area (or any business area you need help with) and create a trusted relationship.  When you do, just like the administrators, kids and parents found out, the “show” will turn out GREAT! 

This is why my focus in everything with my clients is “making hiring a non-issue so you can do what you do best”.  Find the “expert” and let them work their “magic” – it is truly magical…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This